As 2013 comes to a close, I joined my fellow crew over at the YA Buccaneers to look back at my top 10 YA reads for the year:
10. ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake
9. SHATTER ME by Taherah Mafi
8. UNRAVEL ME by Taherah Mafi
7. JUST ONE DAY by Gayle Forman
6. THE 5TH WAVE by Rick Yancey
5. THE BOOK OF BROKEN HEARTS by Sarah Ockler
4. CROWN OF MIDNIGHT by Sarah J. Maas
3. THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas
2. SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo
1. SIEGE AND STORM by Leigh Bardugo
If you hopped over here from the YA Buccaneers site***, you already know I picked SIEGE AND STORM as my #1 pick, for the following reason:
SIEGE AND STORM by Leigh Bardugo wins my favorite book for 2013, thanks to the compelling story arc and amazing cast of characters. Like many, I'm a huge fan of the Darkling and can't wait to see where Bardugo takes him and Alina in book #3 -- but a new character introduced in this second installment, Sturmhond, was the one I couldn't wait to read more of! This character's quick wit and great sense of humor had me flying through the pages -- and I'm really hoping there will be more of him in RUIN AND RISING. A lot more of him.
So, so many great reads this year, it was hard to pick just ten. Especially since there were many I didn't get a chance to read yet, that I'm sure would've made the list -- like THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater, RUBY RED by Kerstin Gier, and FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell. Who knows, maybe they'll make my list for 2014!
***Don't forget to head back over to the YA Buccaneers to check out the top 10 lists for the rest of the crew -- and enter to win this month's giveaway to win an autographed copy of ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth!