Ah, gee shucks...would you look at that? Fellow writer pal, Huntress, just honored me with the prestigious Versatile Blogger Award!
Huntress runs a fan-tab-u-lous blog, Spirit Called, which is chock-full with not only great writerly advice - but some serious side-splitting humor to boot!
If you don't believe me, the woman who grew up wanting to be Laura Ingalls Wilder, just posted a ha-larious blog on Jokes Only Writers Can Appreciate - which includes the following:
Rules to Write By:
Avoid alliteration. Always.
Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
Be more or less specific.
Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
Proofread carefully to see if you words out.
If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be avoid by rereading and editing.
A writer must not shift your point of view.
Don't overuse exclamation marks!!
Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing metaphors.
Last but not least, avoid cliches like the plague; They're old hat; seek viable alternatives.
As the recipient of this lovely award, I believe I am to share seven things about myself. So let's see...
1. To help pay my way through college, I taught scuba and snorkel lessons off the beaches of Waikiki, Hawaii.
2. Because of the above mentioned job, I was attacked by a moray eel while diving one morning, and have a nasty scar on the bridge of my nose. Had I caught him, he would've made a great pair of shoes. :)
3. I love, love, love to gamble - and my husband and I go to Vegas several times a year.
4. I have a bad habit of leaving pens uncapped and lights all over the house turned on - both drive my husband batty.
5. I love to cook - and one of these days I'll go to culinary school.
6. I absolutely d.e.t.e.s.t. cockaroaches. Just the thought of them, makes my skin crawl. Eek!
7. I played the violin for for over 14 years - at first because my mom made me (I was 5), but then because I liked it (geek, I know).
Now, to pass this lovely award on - of course, I would've picked Huntress to receive this...but I have to pass it on to some new folks:
All of the above are great sites - be them personal writer friends of mine or great writing resources! Either way, they all should be shared with the masses, in my humble opinion.
Thanks again, Huntress, for the great award!